Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Privacy in a Public World

In today’s society, being socially active is not uncommon. Most people I know all have at least one platform of social media from Facebook to Instagram to twitter and the list goes on. Even something as simple as having a website is showing your presence online. While I do not normally consider myself to have much of an online footprint, I can definitely say it is bigger than some. 

As for websites, I created one a couple years ago for business use. My initial goal was to be able to sell some of my artwork off of it. I created it for professional use giving out my name and email. I chose not to include my phone number because I felt like that would be too personal. In the end, I never really used the website but I also never took it down. 

I also use a few other social media sites for entertainment but also communication. I personally have Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat,. Instagram and Snapchat are definitely the top two sites I use. I use Instagram to mainly share artsy pictures I take and the accomplishments or videos I have made. This is probably my most personal account. If someone were to look at it, they could get a general idea of what my life is like. They would see what I like to do, where I have traveled, some of my friends and pets, and what I look like. While they might have all these pictures, I only have my shared my first name. I do not put my number or email on any of my sites or my last name. As for Facebook, I only created an account for school purposes and used my nickname to not give out too much information. 

Personal information to me is anything other than my first name, and sometimes even that. I have a backup email that I use for snap mail and things such as social media accounts. Normally you cannot create an account without an email or number. This is when I use my backup email. While I might give out this email for certain sites or social media, I would never give them my password for it. When entering the world of social media, it is hard to control what is posted or seen about you by other people and knowing who can use your information. It is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to what you post because even if it is deleted, it is never truly gone.

I believe that social media definitely has its perks and downsides. While it is a great way to show what you have accomplished or show-off where you have traveled, etc., it can also bring others down. I have seen the different ways social media has effected so many people I know. Some positively and a lot negatively. People mostly only post good things in life showing only that side. This can make people jealous or want that “perfect” life that people advertise through their accounts. They want everything they see and don’t have and then can’t appreciate what they do have. It has almost become a competition for who can have the coolest life shown through their social media. While this is not everyone’s story or idea on social media, everyone is effected by it in different ways and it might not always be positive.


https://www.fastcompany.com/90315706/kids-parents-social-media-sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment